Children’s Hospitals will forever hold a special place in my heart. It was many years ago, back in 1984, that I practically lived at the San Diego Children’s Hospital and Heath Center (Radys). It’s where our daughter Britt was diagnosed and treated for Myasthenia Gravis. It was a long stress-filled 5 weeks. It was only made bearable because of the doctors, nurses and volunteers that cared for Britt and our family. That’s what children’s hospitals are all about.
Because I grew up in Orange County, I was familiar with CHOC (Children’s Hospital of Orange County) long before I knew about San Diego Children’s Hospital. I had friends who were patients there and I was aware of their fund raising events. Fifty years later CHOC has grown into a pediatric health care system serving multiple counties. CHOC works miracles for their patients and families. Not only does CHOC provide the needed medical care, but provides emotional and mental care as well, that can also be life-saving.
The 27th annual CHOC Walk in the Park, CHOC’s biggest and best known fundraiser, is only a few weeks away. Get yourself, your family and friends together for a magical walk through Disneyland, California Adventure Park, and Downtown Disney. It all happens on August 27, 2017. What could be more fun and fulfilling than walking for such a special cause?!
We want to thank Tim O’Day and his team for inviting us to the CHOC Walk in the Park mixer in the gorgeous Disneyland Hotel’s Blue Sky Suite. It was an honor to be included and to learn more abut the history of CHOC Walk in the Park. But most of all, we treasure the privilege of meeting 9-year-old Jordin Jackson and her family. Jordin’s dream came true when she was chosen to be the 2017 CHOC Walk Ambassador. This mighty little girl has gone through more in her young life than most us of will in our lifetime. She was diagnosed with Sickle Cell Disease at birth and CHOC has become her second home. But bless her little heart … with the help of her family, CHOC has not only helped her, but she has been an asset to CHOC. With determination, Jordin and her family raised $32,000 to purchase a machine needed for sickle cell patients, which is currently saving lives in the CHOC lab. Wow!
*Now for the CHOC Walk in the Park facts. The following information is directly from the CHOC Walk in the Park website. We wanted to give you the facts straight from the horses mouth!
#CHOCwalk Event Day Details
- Sunday, August 27 2017, Disneyland® Resort at 6:30 a.m.
- Opening Ceremony: Main Street U.S.A. at 6:15 a.m.
- Entrance cutoff time: COMING SOON
- 5K walk through Disneyland® Park, Disney California Adventure® Park and Downtown Disney® District.
- Minimum donation – $85 (ages 3 and older)
- Walkers ages 2 and under FREE
- CHOC Walk information booth will open at 5:00 a.m. in the Disney® Esplanade
- FREE Parking is available at the Disneyland® Resort for all CHOC Walk participants
- Designated parking at Mickey & Friends Parking Structure OR Pumbaa Parking Lot
- The Mickey & Friends tram will not be running – allow time to walk to Main Street U.S.A.
- Participants needing assistance to main gate can utilize special marked vehicles provided by Disney®.
So … what do you think? Does this feel-good event sound as good to you as it does us? Gather you family and friends (even the kiddos!) and register for CHOC Walk in the Park. You can create your own team or join Jordin’s team. This is a magical event that you’ll remember for the rest of your life. Serving others is a tried-and-true path to happiness. And #CHOCwalk is at The Happiest Place on Earth! It doesn’t get much better than that!!