We recently had a special photo shoot with our granddaughter. I’m not quite sure who was more excited about the shoot, ten year old Kennedy, or me. We had our favorite professional photographer come to our home to work her magic. It was awesome, fabulous, brilliant and magical. I can’t wait to share the finished project.
In preparation for the photo shoot I made a flower crown for Kennedy to wear. We’re sharing our DIY flower crown tutorial to show how easy it is make.
The simple flower crown and bouquet gave the shoot a fairy tale vibe, which is exactly what I wanted. Both the crown and the bouquet only took a few hours to make from start to finish. I ended up with a few sticky fingers (from the floral tape), but both projects were easy peasy!
I shopped at my local Hobby Lobby store for the very first time. It was an early morning run and Michael’s wasn’t open yet. But all is well, as I now have two go-to craft stores. Win-Win!
I bought two sprigs of white and yellow flowers along with floral tape. I already had white ribbon, wire and my trusty needle nose pliers.
- Fresh, dried or faux flowers of choice
- Floral tape
- Pliable wire
- 6 yards of 1 inch wide ribbon
- Needle nose pliers
- Measure the head circumference of the person that will be wearing the flower crown. Now measure out the wire to fit the circumference, along with approximately 3 – 4 inches extra of the wire for the loop at each end.
- Wrap the wire foundation and the loops with the floral tape.
- Cut your flowers into 1-2 inch pieces.
- Fasten the flowers onto the wire foundation with floral tape. I attached all my white flowers first.
- I attached flower closest to the loop in the opposite direction.
- Add the rest of the flowers between your first layer.
- After all the flowers are attached to your liking, run your ribbon through the loops and tie with a bow.
- If you use fresh flowers be sure to store your flower crown in the refrigerator.
We used the flower crown for Kennedy’s photo shoot but it can also be used for weddings, formal occasions and of course, just for fun. Have fun with it! Design yours to match your personality. And most importantly … have fun!